Thursday, January 20, 2011

Song #1: He Will Direct Your Path

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
     This scripture passage from Proverbs has guided me through some of my darkest nights of the soul. When I had pericarditis, it urged me, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart." When I went through an unwanted divorce and later lost my first-born son to suicide, I desperately asked God to help me understand. The scripture spoke calmly, "Don't lean on your own understanding." I learned that, indeed, there are some things that we will not understand this side of Heaven and that I can trust God because He does have the understanding I lack. Then, when I was told that I had become legally blind and that my vision was deteriorating due to Retinitis Pigmentosa, the Word encouraged me "in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will Make your paths straight." God promises to take care of my pathway even when I can't see it!
     Just two little verses have had a huge impact on some terribly devastating events in my life. Those events, though still terrible,  are no longer devastating. God assures me through His Word that He has an eternal, objective perspective, that He wants me to trust Him even when I don't understand the inexplicable, and that He is worthy of my trust to guide me step by step, even when I don't see the way to go. He is honing and improving my spiritual sight as my physical sight is waning. I am reassured because "Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path."(Psalm 119:105) This will continue to be my song in the night of failing vision.

4 comments:

Mandy from Burkett Blessings said...

Love this!!! He is SO faithful!!! So glad I found your blog. I'm your 1st official follower! :-)

Judy Googins said...

Thanks, Mandy. You're my sweet sister singer. Welcome! Praise Him!

Vickie J said...

Welcome to the blogging world. Glad I could be your 2nd follower. Does that makes us stalkers?!
;-D

heart's-cry said...

Wow Judy...your words pack such richness because of who God has made you through your sorrows and extreme trials. You are a blessing and encouragement to me dear friend. You press on like no other. Love to you~